Sunday, October 21, 2007

Abra Cadabra

I was a bit early picking AJ up from school. As I walked in, his aide spotted me from the office and pointed me toward his classroom. The door to the classroom was ajar. AJ's back was turned and so was his teacher's. The kids were busy readying the classroom for the weekend, stacking chairs and the like, and no one really took notice of me. I quickly crossed the room and sat in a chair in the corner, fairly out of sight.

I chuckled as his teacher, who was obviously glad it was Friday, displayed extreme self control trying to get the kids (who were also obviously glad it was Friday), to finish their assigned tasks.

AJ pushed stacked chairs in the opposite direction of which they should go. Not that he didn't understand...he understood perfectly well that he was clowning and had the attention of the boy giggling next to him. That finished, his teacher directed him to finish putting away the clean dishes on the sink. He started toward the sink, she turned away and he began happily fiddling with the pencil sharpener. After a bit, she turned back his way and he scurried toward the sink.

Coming my way with a couple of clean dishes to be put away, he finally spotted me in the corner. I told him, "I saw you goofing around with that pencil sharpener instead of doing your job."

He looked stunned and said with awe, "You're magic!"


No comments: