Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mechanics

AJ and I were out running some errands today.  Upon exiting from the store, we got in the car and when I turned the key....nothing.  Not a click, not a buzz...zilch.  


*&^@!$#!!


AJ has an immediate solution.  "Car broken.  New one.  Store."


Uh...yeah, buddy...let's just walk on over to Walmart and pick one up.


So...since the thing is nothing but a big paperweight at this juncture,  I decide I can't break it any worse and open the hood to explore.


I ponder aloud what might be wrong.  He offers, "No power.  Lightning storm."


Since there's not a cloud in the sky, I highly doubt the car was struck by lightning while we were in the store.  But, the young man makes a good general point....since not even the clock is working, it's gotta be electrical.  


The only part of the electrical system I know I can get to (or even identify) is the battery.  Checking that, sure enough...a loose cable.  I have AJ help me get some tools out of the trunk and he looks on as I tighten it up.


I turn the key and...Tah-Dah!  Starts right up.


He's grinning and obviously very impressed with what we've done.  He proudly proclaims, "Mom.  We're a GENIUS."


Indeed we are.



No comments: