Friday, March 30, 2007

Small Town


After dinner, I wanted to take the dog for a walk. AJ insisted that, on this walk, he needed to wear his Batman costume...complete with ankle length black cape and full face mask. I'm not thrilled, but...whatever... Off we go... We get to the middle school playground where about two dozen boys between the ages of 6 and 16 are playing basketball. AJ makes a sprint toward the courts. Several kids good naturedly holler, "Hi, Batman!" AJ rips off the mask and cape, and smiles, replying, "It's me. AJ." He hands me the costume, tells me, "Hold this" and runs off. Someone tosses him a ball. He's involves himself in two different games. Depending on where he is at any given moment, the boys either include him, or dodge him in a gallant effort not to squash him. He's having a blast giving and getting high fives and telling everyone "Good shot!" even if they miss the basket by a mile. After a while he tires. Wanders back to me and dons his costume once again. As we're leaving, one kid near rides his bike over to AJ and asks, "Hey, Batman. Want a piece of candy?" We continue our walk. Only in a small town...

No comments: